Oak Ridge National Laboratory is looking for a Chemical Engineer Staff Member
The Enrichment Technology Group within the Isotope and Fuel Cycle Technology Division (IFCTD) seeks applications for a research and development position focused on processing of uranium-bearing and stable isotope compounds. The IFCTD at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is a leader in research, development, and deployment of technology for the production and purification of radioisotopes, enhances nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards, reduces threats to nuclear material at risk, and expands the national capabilities in radiation detection and nuclear forensics.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
Major duties will include characterizing enrichment devices and conversion processes. Characterization involves assessments for optimal processing parameters, development and analysis of approaches to mitigate chemical and physical impediments to processes and the implementation of material and design goals. A focus of the position will be the development and execution of complex test plans involving significant data collection and interpretation, assessment of results, and incorporation of steps for continuous improvement of processes.
The successful candidate will be required to effectively interact with various personnel and sponsors, both within and outside of ORNL. The candidate is expected to be able to work in a team environment with co-workers and management as well as independently, to fully document work performed in the forms of technical reports, papers, and presentations, and to participate in the development of research proposals. Excellent communication skills, including verbal, presentation, and writing skills are required. The successful candidate will interface with principal investigators, management, engineers, fabricators, modelers and test campaign personnel. The candidate will be responsible for understanding and contributing to detailed formal design and instrumentation drawings, analysis plans, and fabrication plans in coordination with stakeholders.
- A PhD in Chemical Engineering or a MS with at least four years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related field with at least 5 years’ relevant experience in a research and development environment
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in complex system design and operation
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal
- This position requires the possession of a DOE Q clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program
- The ability to work flexible hours and travel is required
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size is acceptable. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 37831, United States